Monday, November 3, 2008

Just like Money in the Bank

Back when I used to chase steelhead in north Idaho, I periodically would hear fishing reports quantifying how difficult it was to catch a steelhead. These reports would cite some ridiculously high figure as the average number of casts required to catch the typical steelhead. While the number varied throughout the season, it always remained too high to many rejected anglers, myself included. After a day without catching any fish, I would take comfort in the thought that I had banked the day's fruitless casts toward a future day's fish.

With that said, if I get too many more days like yesterday, I'm going to cash out a fat check. Not the sort that makes a man rich--I'm talking about the sort of check that entitles it's bearer to an epic day catching gargantuan fish. You see, I went fishing yesterday and, in the course of getting completely skunked, I managed to bank a ton of casts. Being that trout are substantially easier to catch that steelhead and should require fewer casts per fish, I figure to cash in a few of these casts on a big day in the not-to-distant future.

The day wasn't a total waste though. Karta had tons of fun:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, yea strange how many hours one can put in before getting a pull on the other end. I must commend you however for at least getting out and attempting some fishing. It has been far too long since i was able to try my own banking. It has been raining almost non stop in corvallis for the last week or so. I was able to make a little trip out to a local firing range with a friend last weekend and destroy a pumpkin or two or four, a highly entertaining endeavor i must admit!

As i look at the extended forecast for corvallis i am reminded of working up North and remarking at how many different ways they have come up with to say, it is going to rain all week so get used to it. While rain may not be too conducive for fishing, it does however aid in another one of my favorite pastimes, skiing. And guess what Mt Hood has received about 20inches of goodness.

Well as a friend of mine pointed out yesterday, a bad day of fishing is always better than even a good day in the office. And don’t worry when the bank finally cashes in all of those hours one puts in on the river, hold on and hope this is NOT the one that gets away.


Josh


As i look at the extended forecast for corvallis i am reminded of working up North and remarking at how many different ways they have come up with to say, it is going to rain all week so get used to it. While this may not be too conducive for fishing, it does however aid in another one of my favorite pastimes, skiing. And guess what Mt Hood has received about 20inches of goodness.

Well as a friend of mine pointed out yesterday, a bad day of fishing is always better than even a good day in the office. And don’t worry when the bank finally cashes in all of those hours one puts in on the river, hold on so it is NOT the one that got away.


Josh