Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Winter, here we come

With some gentle prodding from my parents, The Wife and I finally agreed that we need to pull the trigger on a new wood stove.  With most new models qualifying for a significant tax credit, now's the time if you are in the market.  Although we have yet to make any headway on the installation, we did get out to collect a load of firewood on Sunday. 

Needless to say, we have a long ways to go.  And, with the snow line dropping to around 2,000 feet and termination dust blanketing the surrounding hills, we're probably running out of time. 


We turned our heat on for the first time yesterday evening.  Yikes!  Never before has the autumnal equinox been such an obvious event.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turned your heat on... hum? Oregon has definitely not come anywhere close to winter, much less fall temperatures recently. Its been sunny and in the high 80s to low 90 recently. The only sign of fall is the day length. I have been finding myself waking up with the sun recently, not an easy task!

Well sounds like you are making a good start on preparations for the long winter. I'm sure Stan and Karta will be very willing to reap the wood stove benefits!

Josh

Anonymous said...

I think there is a saying about wood warming you twice...once when you cut it and once when you burn it. Just think how nice and toasty you'll be this winter..
We're having beautiful fall weather. The leaves are getting prettier by the day.
WI Mom

Austin said...

Josh - Yeah, the day length is the real bummer. Time to pay off my debts for the long days of the past few months.

Jan - I'll have to get twice-warmed by the next load. It was 45 and raining like cats and dogs when we collected this load. Who's idea was that anyway?

Anonymous said...

Makes me happy to think of you with a wood stove in the house this winter...hope acquisition and installation move ahead smoothly. It certainly looks like opportunities to cut firewood are going to become scarce soon. As you say, Yikes! It certainly confirms that I'll be a fair weather season visitor only.
OR Mom

Anonymous said...

Henry Ford said it.:)
WI Mom

Anonymous said...

first off, I love that we have "WI mom and OR mom" nice work ladies.

Doug and I are also working hard splitting wood everyday in order to not turn on the heat.

But I did get caught in a small snow storm out hiking on Tues...fall? says who?

meg

Nelli (aka The Wife) said...

I think this is a record post for number of comments. As much as I've been trying to channel my inner Wisconsinite to will my body to stay warm despite dropping temps, the only thing I seem to accomplish is a craving for good cheese:) (we are savoring what you brought us WI mom:) The wood stove will feel SO good! Can't wait to have friends and family gather round when they visit.