Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting ready for Oregon

Work is taking me to Oregon at the end of this month and, since The Wife and I haven't visited my family in what seems like an eternity, we'll be spending a few days down in Medford visiting the folks.  With the Rogue so close and my dad's drift boat spending far too much time out of the water, I plan to chase steelhead at least a couple days. 

My best days on the Rogue have always been in the fall so I'm not sure what to expect on the fishing front.  However, I'm doing my best to load the fly boxes and it'd be a shame not to get on the water.  After all, it's hard to beat a float even if the fishing's slow.

In other news, backcountry skiing is shut down.  It's raining at lower elevations and the warm weather and new snow/rain has made backcountry skiing on anything but the flattest slopes dicy, at best.  The slope I skied in the prior post has slid and three people (two snowmobilers and a skier) died in avalanches on Saturday.  All the reason I need to stay home and tie flies.

3 comments:

schnitzerPHOTO said...

I need to get some of that awesome copper-ish dubbing for those steelie nymphs! Love that pattern.

Austin said...

Yeah, "new age" chenille in copper/black is your friend. For such an effective material, it's surprising how few fly shops carry it. I think I've caught half of all my steelhead on that fly.

Anonymous said...

Oregon is getting ready for you! At least the family part of the state can't wait to see you both...we may even spend some time on the water with you...after all you probably would appreciate someone at the oars providing an opportunity to maximize the time your line stays wet! We might have to distract you with some dog time. Dad and I will be chasing pheasants for a couple of days that I think you will be around!
Love you guys and can't wait to give you a huge hug...
OR Mom