Wednesday, June 16, 2010

On fly selection . . .

The comments to my last post got me thinking about my evolution as a fly fisherman and tier.

When I started fly fishing I was a broke high-schooler who owned, maybe, twelve flies: an adams here, a hares ear or two there, a few box-store-bought woolly buggers (you know, the sort that come in a plastic and cardboard-backed container hanging on a hook at wally world), and perhaps a fewer high-quality flies stolen from my dad.
Once I figured out how to cast and where the fish were, I caught fish despite my poorly apportioned fly box.

Over time, I realized just how many different flies were out there, learned to tie, and had to carry a dozen of every type in various sizes every time I went fishing.
I caught fish, but not because I carried a thousand flies.  To this day, I'm still trying to lose the flies I tied during this period.

As time wore on, I began to realize that presentation was infinitely more important than fly selection, and I caught the vast majority of my fish on a small handful of flies.  The adams, hares ear and woolly bugger still had their spot in my box, but a well-placed parachute adams could do anything a Hi-Vis Knock-Down Dun could do and a sparsly-tied elk hair caddis could do anything a sedgehammer could do.  And the parachute adams and elk hair caddis are infinitely easier to tie.

Now that I find myself in Alaska, my box basically is down to two flies:
So, while there will always be a spot on fly shop shelves and in the new guy's vest for flies that catch fisherman, here's to the flies that catch the fish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin, I personally like the "mom" approach to fly selection...as in I fish with whichever fly my husband or sons tie on the end of my line! It's amazing how many great fishing trips I've had without knowing anything about fly tying...or the vision/patience to thread the stinking invisible line through the outrageously small hook eye. Of course, I'm surrounded with thoughtful family members who are thrilled when I have a good fishing experience...
Love,
OR Mom