Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back in Alaska

Both my camera and The Wife are out of town for the week.  I meant to download some pictures from last week and do a trip report of sorts from my recent trip back to Oregon, but forgot.  Suffice it to say that small stream fishing in a high desert ponderosa forest is every bit as awesome as it's cracked up to be.  The Wife being gone sucks though.

Back in Alaska, the fish are in--pinks out the wazoo, coho, chums. . .  Karta found a giant Chinook carcass yesterday.  Maybe 40 pounds.  There's something about bushwhacking along the salmon-lined banks of a deafening river in griz country that makes you feel alive.  Stepping around heaping piles of bear shit when you can't see or hear past your nose makes you keep your trigger finger at the ready, if nothing else.  I think I'll wait until I have a more responsible companion than Karta before going back there again.  You know, someone who carries their own bear deterrent instead of acting as an attractant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great having you both back in OR for a week...and yes, the camping/hiking/fishing trip was awesome! We haven't managed to download any of our photos either, but the images are solid in my mind.
Love you,
OR Mom

Anonymous said...

It is truly a different world of fishing up there. I think i would be hard pressed not to go and chase salmon right now. But fishing solo in black bear country is slightly different then fishing solo in griz country. Hope you have found a few people to head out with and have been able to find a few fish.

Oh i did land a ~17 inch redband on my 3wt... so i got that going for me, which is nice. Even landed a few others smaller ones on a midnight FMF.

I'll be awaiting some fish pics from both you and Nelli,


Josh

The Wife said...

Hmm...I am not sure I am a responsible companion in bear country but it sure feels nice to be home. Pretty sure I would scadadle (fast!) if I came nose to nose with a griz...despite what research says.

The FMF worked for Coho's and Humpy's on the Nushagak too:) You need to patten that!