Monday, September 13, 2010

Kelly and Russ come to visit, Part 2 (and some gear wonkery)

After floating for a couple days, we decided to give the boat a break and fish another nearby stream from shore for an afternoon.  The river was full of sockeye and fishing with egg imitations was effective for rainbows.  An impressive stonefly hatch also had the fish looking up so those of us who put away the beads were treated to some decent dry fly fishing, which is nice.
One of the downsides of the day, however, was the increasingly sad state of my fly reel collection.  As of late, I primarily fish with either my six- or eight-weight fly rod.  My eight is an older St. Croix Legend Ultra 908.3 that I've had at least ten years mated to a Ross Momentum LT 4 that I bought last year.  I occasionally consider replacing the rod with a newer model but can never find a replacement I consider markedly improved over my old standby.  The rod is every bit as good today as it was back when I bought it.  The Momentum LT on the other hand has been giving me troubles.  About two months ago I noticed water leaking into the drag system--or so it seems since every time it's dunked the drag becomes less reliable and the clicking noise becomes erratic.  As far as I'm concerned this should never happen to a reel that lists for $445.  It works, so long as you don't get it wet. . .

My six is a Sage SP 690-3 that I've had roughly 8 years with a Ross Vexsis 3 that I've had for two.  The rod is a little slow for what I consider a heavier trout weight, but was the first high-end rod I purchased and has caught tons of good fish--including a respectable number of coho after being called up to the big leagues when I broke my eight a few years ago in southeast.  It does its job.  The Vexis, however, is not a favorite reel of mine.  It's largest problems are that it has a ton of play in the spool before the drag engages, which is a pet peeve of mine, and the mechanism for changing from right- to left-hand drag is weak and can cause the drag to act irregularly.  The right-to-left mechanism isn't as big a problem as it might sound once you recognize the deficiency and check it from time to time, but still. . .  Despite these design flaws, it's most pressing issue is that it's currently held together with a nylon strap:
Not two hours into the day I slipped on the wet rocks and fell only to catch myself with the hand that was holding the rod and reel, which stripped the screws that hold the reel foot from the reel frame.  It's not the reel's fault I fell, and the reel managed to catch fish even post-MacGyver, but it's still a bummer to have two reels on the fritz and not be able to lean on the six while I send the eight in for warranty, or vice versa.  I guess it's time to dust off the old reliable Scientific Anglers System 2.
Part 3 will be big, I promise, but might not get posted for a day or two.  Here's a teaser in the meantime:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think these pic are going to start causing me nightmares! You guys are really lucky to have such opportunities available to you. I am jealous!

Although, i am glad to see you all are getting the guiding thing down for when i visit next season! Can almost hear the reels screaming…

And Sam, congrats on the house buddy. You guys are moving on up in the world! I might have to take you up on the offer when Austin and Nelli are sick of having me crash at there place…

Cheers and tight lines,


Josh

The Wife said...

We are lucky...truly lucky.
Move up here:)

Austin said...

@ Josh - yeah, sometimes the fishing just works out.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...sounds like some useful Xmas info might be contained in this post!
Love you,
OR Mom

Austin said...

Don't act too fast, I still have hopes that Ross Reels solves both of my reel problems. Perhaps I'll have to do a follow-up review of Ross' customer service and warranty department.

Anonymous said...

Will keep my eyes open for it!

Love,
OR Mom