Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A couple lessons learned

As promised, I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and got out on the water this past weekend.  It was my first trip of the year and, while my camera skills were weak, I did manage to learn a couple important lessons.

Lesson One: Water levels are stupid low.  This river normally is around 2,500 to 3,000 cfs when it's in its prime, and current water levels put it around 380 cfs.  I saw two other boats on the water--both of which involved everyone out of the boat walking it through a riffle.  I'll wait until water levels come up a bit before putting the new drift boat in the water.

Lesson Two: I don't know the first thing about spey casting.  I've watched a few short videos and read up on the subject online, but, as things sit right now, I've got serious work to do if I want to get the most out of my new switch rod.  At least it roll casts a mile.

Lesson Three: Even though Karta is turning gray, she's still got it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those sound like some pretty good lessons. And probablly smart to let the river come up before taking the maiden voyage. It would be pretty lame to put too many dings in it on the first trip out. However, that would get it out of the way...

Looked like some great weather regardless and it is always good to see what the fish are up to. Even if they were otherwise occupied and uninterested in anything you were offering. It is also amazing how much of a learning curve is associated with the spay cast. Although once it is mastered, an 80 foot cast is nothing, and that far bank does not look too far anymore! Well glad you got out, saw the river at a different level and practiced the art of water flogging. And glad to hear the pooch still enjoys it.


Josh