Thursday, June 5, 2008

You park cars in your garage?

For a lack of something better to do with the garage--after all, we aren't very well going to store cars in it--I've decided to become a woodworker. My skills lag significantly behind my enthusiasm, but that hasn't stopped me from taking over half of the garage. And not the left or right half, such that one vehicle can still park in our garage. Oh no, I've managed to occupy the garage in such a manner to render it totally useless for motor vehicles. Surely this will change when the weather turns bad and The Wife puts her foot down. Until then...

Part of the deal for getting nearly exclusive access to the garage was that my woodworking skills, slight as they are, must serve the becking call of The Wife. As such, my most recent project, with the assistance of my good friend Luke, was this potting bench:

It's made of redwood and cedar, includes a place to store tools and such, and has a hole in the table top with a removable plastic container for collecting soil and other potting debris. Since it's permanent home will be on our back porch, which could put your local gardening center to shame, it can also serve double duty during barbecues and such. Coincidentally, the hole and container for potting debris will work perfectly as a place to cool beer in ice.

No comments: