Monday, March 23, 2009

One last fishing trip

With about a week left before I head North, my good friend Russ and I headed out last Friday afternoon for one final day on the water. Like when Josh and I headed out a couple weeks ago, there were tons of big rainbows and cuttbows in the riffles.

I started by drifting egg patterns through a broad riffle, hooking into this nice fish:
I'm not sure if it was the pressure of me catching the first fish or not, but Russ got a bit adventurous with his wading and tried to cross through the quick, deep current. While I was hoping to get a picture of Russ filling his waders as he bobbed down the river, he wisely turned back and fished his way toward the near bank. He quickly hooked into his first fish of the day.

Back on shore, here he is with fish in hand:
Here I am catching one more before moving downstream (check out how roughed up the fish is from digging in the gravel):After moving downstream a bit and noticing a group of nice fish rising to midges, Russ and I both gave up the wet flies in hopes of hooking something on the surface. After a little work, I managed to land a nice rainbow on a size 18 parachute adams. Despite my luck, Russ was happy to fish a rusty size 14 humpy he found in the bushes. It didn't matter as the fish were happy to comply:With our appetite for fish satisfied, we packed up and headed back into town.

Also, thanks for the new camera Jan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heck yea, well done on getting after it! It is simply amazing the shear quantity of large fish in that river. And being able to fish in sunny weather as oppose to snow, not bad timing either...

Josh

Unknown said...

I'm sure the resident fish of the area are happy to see you go...