Friday, November 20, 2009

The quiet sport, my ass

I always find it interesting when people try to relate to me by professing their deep appreciation for fly fishing as a relaxing endeavor or, even worse, as "the quiet sport."  I try to remain polite, but these people must never have caught a fish of any real significance.  The only time fly fishing has ever been relaxing for me is when I give up on catching fish and take a nap on the bank.

Large fish rising to dry flies nearly give me a heart attack every time.  I've topped my waders and nearly drown more times than I care to remember, not because I was "relaxed" or enjoying a "quiet sport," but because I was so delerious with big-fish syndrome I couldn't think clearly.  Self-preservation takes a back seat to the pursuit of the perfect drift any day.

To put things another way, the first time I ever swore in front of my dad (without getting in trouble) was while playing a large steelhead.  It was a bitter-cold November morning and I had driven to my folk's home in Oregon from my place in North Idaho.  Although quite a drive for just a few days, I wasn't deterred and didn't think twice about making the ten-hour drive for a couple days of prime steelhead fishing.

Waking up at some God-awful hour, my dad, brother and myself drove down to the river and bellied up to our usual spot on the bank, just below a right-hand bend in the river.  Just upstream, the water ran through a fast riffle before crashing into a submerged rock, scouring a deep slot in the top of a run by the near bank.  Although I was new to steelhead fishing, I'd seen enough to know that the slot held big fish.

I always insisted on getting to the water before sunrise despite the fact that my brother and I had always had our best luck between 8:00 and 8:30.  This day was no different.  After spending the first hour or so breaking ice of my guides during a 30-degree drizzle, I finally felt a big tug around 8:15.

Holding on for dear life, the fish turned away from me, out of the slot and into the main current.  My reel began to scream as line ripped off.  It was the classic scene where my fly line ran straight out into the middle of the river but the fish was jumping far downstream.

Just as the chaos was at it's climax, and I clearly no longer was in charge, my dad asked "do you think it's a big one?"

Let's stop for a minute and realize the ridiculousness of this question.

[one minute]

"IT'S A FUCKING FREIGHT TRAIN," I exclaim.

The rest of the fight is a bit of a blur, but I do recall that, as I sat there on my knees dehooking the fish and getting positioned to lift it up for a proud picture taken by my dad, my brother whispers to me "dude, you said 'fucking.'"  Yes, it was a very relaxing experience I assure you.

5 comments:

Mark said...

awesome.

I had a friend say the same exact thing one time, hooking up on the swing. I thought he had a nice fish on but a few seconds later a 10 inch rainbow came skimming across the surface.

It was hilarious.

Adam said...

I love it...couldn't be more true.

-I'd be the one erdo speaks of...haha.

The Wife said...

Love it. I've been fishing with you enough to know that while the trips are refreshing...they are anything but quiet! All as it should be...

The Wife:)

Austin said...

@erdo and @ahope

Thanks for the comment folks, and a great blog you two run.

Anonymous said...

So I have not had much time to share any comments recently... however this post requires a quick thought. It is truly amazing how memories can be perfectly preserved in the depths of one’s mind. And this memory qualifies perfectly. By brothers experience of the “freight train” trying its best to take him back out to the salt, is a perfect example of what keeps people braving the cold and dark of winter’s morn (even if fish don’t hit until 8:30) in search of that elusive monster that inhabits the waters and haunt our dreams.

Cheers,
Josh