Sunday, April 18, 2010

"No good deed goes . . . "

Back when we were in Wisconsin visiting The Wife's family a couple weeks ago, I was conscripted to build a cold frame for my mother-in-law.  Well, "conscripted" might not be the correct term here since, you see, I knew that Jan would accompany any project of this sort with ample quantities of top-shelf domestic macrobrew and, if it's early enough in the day, the occasional bloody mary.  I was quick to volunteer for the task.

Having grown up in the West, in places where nobody is really from, it's always fun to visit central Wisconsin.  If you grow up in rural Wisconsin and move 50 miles, it's a big move.  If you go to, say, Alaska, you might as well be in another country.  My brother-in-law, and good friend, Tyler is one of those locals with deep roots to Marathon County.  You need a used window?  He's got a guy who's got a dozen for you.  You need some lumber on Saturday when the local yard is closed?  He's got as many clear 2x10s as you might need.  Tools?  Forgetaboutit.  If Tyler wasn't such a nice guy, you'd think he was part of some Wisconsin Polish mafia.

With materials and bloody mary in hand, Tyler and I made short work of building the cold frame.
The sides are 2x10s cut to the appropriate length and width and joined like a log cabin so it can be disassembled for easy transportation or storage.
The window is on a hinge for easy access to the inside. 

And an updated picture with the fresh planting:
Of course, now that we're home and things are starting to warm up, The Wife is going garden crazy.  She's already sourced a bunch of old windows and, as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.  She just better have a bloody mary waiting.

7 comments:

Bobbi St. Clair said...

That looks great. I want one of those! When are you coming to OR again....?

Austin said...

Not until this fall/winter, I'm afraid. I'll have to send Ross the plans

Sam said...

That looks great. I will bribe with beers and bloodies for your plans to build one or two of those at our house.

Austin said...

Perhaps I overstated the existence of "plans." I'll have to post a how-to next time I make one.

The Wife said...

This is SUCH a perfect design -- nice work Husband! The wife is calling dibs on the next one:)

Anonymous said...

Everything about it is perfect...thanks a million Austin!! I'll keep you posted on when the seeds I planted start sprouting.
WI Mom

Jason said...

The "salad table" I made for Jessie will double as a cold frame in the cooler times. We're still in the market for some old used windows though. Nice work!

See our "Inch by inch, row by row" blog post for a photo.