Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Testing out the new net

It's always fun to throw back the suds and go on a fly tying bender, if however brief, which is exactly what Sam and I did Sunday afternoon.  After the prior day's flexible rod sampling, my fly selection was looking a bit thin and in need of some attention.  Of course, once my fly box is full, I'm compelled to go lose a few flies--and thus a vicious cycle is born.

The fact that I had just bought a new giant-sized net pushed us over the edge so The Wife and I set out Monday for a rare weekday fishing excursion.  The lack of crowds was a welcome change, although those 20ish inch fish don't look so big any more:
We caught a handful of fish but the highlight of the day came when, while seated at the oars approaching a bend in the river, I hooked into a nice fish and fully confirmed that I cannot, in fact, play and land a fish while rowing the boat and containing the puppy dog.  Karta had a grand time through it all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some nice flesh flies or deviation there of. I tied up a few nymphs last night myself.

I am sure the trip made for a long day, but that is what AK thrives in around the solstice. I remember fishing for hatchery coho after work, getting off the river around after midnight and still having enough light to make it back home... It is a special place up there!

And the pub looks like she had a good time helping/herding the fish into the net!


Josh

Sanders said...

A tying bender...well said!

a good fish...a new net...and a happy dog...life is good!

Just found your blog on OBN...looking forward to following along.

schnitzerPHOTO said...

I'm looking forward to putting that new, big ol' meat basket to the test. Nice shot of Karta, looking rather disheveled.

Austin said...

Sanders - Thanks for stopping buy, and that's a great blog you have too.

Schnitzer - I'll let you run the net while I catch fish any day...