Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A new Fishing Partner

I've never been much of a planner.  Back when The Wife and I were just married, my inability to consider "the future" was a regular annoyance--and the source of nearly any squabble we ever had.  It was, and sometimes still is, inconceivable to her that I could be so utterly unconcerned with the details to come.  One illustration of this is in our approach to kids:

The Wife: "When do you want to start trying to have kids?"

Me: "I don't know.  Someday."

The Wife: "I think in a few years, once we finish school and have decent jobs, it'd be nice to start trying.  Don't you?"

My: "I don't know.  I always figured I'd just wake up someday ready to be a father."

Needless to say, my nonchalant attitude toward such life-altering events didn't always go over so well.  However, in my defense, it's not that I don't care about what might be, it's that I'd rather focus on the big picture and take the details as they come.  Kids?  Yes.  When?  Details, shmetails.

So, true to form, about nine months ago I woke up ready to be a dad and, because I have an incredibly understanding and patient wife, a week ago today The Wife gave birth to our loving son.
Mason, our new fishing partner.
While I could wax poetic about the miracle of birth and how amazing it is to be a father, which it most certainly is, I'm most excited about all the fun adventures and life experiences we have yet to see.

So, without a moment to spare, The Wife and I took advantage of yesterday's nice weather and took our little munchkin out for his first fishing trip.
The Wife and Mason.
Grandma Jan, aunt Ash and cousin Grace also came along for the ride.  With Mason only six days old and Grace celebrating her six-month birthday, we were quite the sight on the river.
Drift boat or nursery?
Karta usually sticks by whoever is catching the most . . .
My first rainbow on the new Winston BIIIx and Bauer MacKenzie CFX.
Bringing in a nice Dolly.
Grace, showing her excitement for the fish.
Black bears always seem small compared to their brown kin.
One thing about taking kiddos out in the boat is that you can't just pack up and head home if things aren't going too well.  Sure, you can push on down the river, but once you launch you're committed through to the pull-out.  However, the calm, rocking motion of the boat and lapping sounds of the river helped Mason snooze through most of the trip and Grace seemed happy to spend her day laughing at the funny looking guy on the oars.

This day wasn't as much about fishing as it was about being on the river with family.  Of course, that doesn't mean we didn't catch a few nice fish.
Grandma Jan, roped into a lunker on her first day fly fishing.
Mr. Mason too busy snoozing to be disturbed.
A nice Dolly and Karta with the assist.
A successful catch and release.
And here's to many more adventures with Mason!

9 comments:

Sam said...

Friggin awesome. All the more reason I need to buy a drift boat, so we can have an nursery/fishing armada on the river. Soon enough, we can train Mason and Finn to take the oars and we, as the old men, can drink beer and catch fish!

Austin said...

Sam - and I bet we can get them to mow the lawn someday too!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Mason and Grace took to the water with enthusiasm...but I think I'm most impressed with the fishing Momma! Way to go!!!
Gramma Cindy

Suzanne said...

Isn't it amazing how newborns like to do exactly what you like to do? Hey Malaya, want to go read at a cafe? Sure! Want to sew a little dress? Yes! Want to change out my bike tire? Okay! Way to get the little guy out early.

Sanders said...

Congrats! Mason looks pretty content in the boat...he'll be on the sticks in no time :-)

Glad everyone is doing well. cheers!

Anonymous said...

YaHoOO!!!! Awesome, just awesome. children should be "part" of your life, not YOUR life...and you two are (and will continue to) do it with style.

Love you guys

megan

Austin said...

Cindy - Yes, Nelli is a rockstar!

Suzanne - Yes, they're great, although I have the easy part.

Sanders - Thanks!

Megan - "Mason, you WILL go fishing today and you WILL like it!"

The Wife said...

So excited to share many more adventures with you mason!

Kelly said...

You guys are incredible! It was so exciting just to relive the day with your family through the photos!!! Wish we could join you sometime soon.